Junior and Senior FUTURES Program
What is the FUTURES Program?
The Futures Program is an all-inclusive, culturally-diverse, fun, creative, technologically advanced and socially-interactive learning environment. FUTURES continually challenges youth to learn, grow and gain much needed life skills in the following areas.
Social and Interpersonal Development. Encourage social interaction, overcome social anxiety and build a sense of confidence by forming meaningful relationships with staff, volunteers and peers.
Essential Life and Employment Skills. Develop critical skills that will help youth successfully transition to independence. Skills include financial literacy, reading and writing, problem-solving, self-care, culinary arts, resume building and job interviewing.
Leadership Development. Offer opportunities to develop leadership skills by participating in public speaking engagements and facilitating program workshops.
Mentorship. Leading by example, youth have access to fellow youth mentors with child welfare experience who facilitate discussions and workshops, help others with assignments and share from their own experience of living in care.
Self-directed Passion for Learning. Create inquisitive, lifelong learners that are passionate about learning outside the classroom.
Development of Partnerships
- Liberty for Youth
- YMCA of Burlington
- STRIDE (Supported Training and Rehabilitation in Diverse Environments)
- Chef Meagan
- Public Health
- SAVIS (Sexual Assault & Violence Intervention Services of Halton)
- DJ Mike
- Roots Community Services
How it Benefits Youth (what it adds/improves to their lives)
- Learning life skills
- Learning financial literacy
- Engaging with others
- Helping build confidence in themselves
- Sense of inclusion
- Engaging, on a weekly basis, in developing life skills
- Developing relationships
- Developing their social network to help navigate in community
What Are the Expected Outcomes
- Confidence in themselves
- Leadership skills
- Financial literacy skills including managing money and budgeting
- Youth will come out of this program with a current resume and cover letter
- Confidence in interviewing for a job
- Budgeting skills
- Communication skills to enhance social and interpersonal development
- Ability to work through problems in a professional manner
- Ability to participate in teamwork and team building activities